• A warm, clean environment with a comfortable hiding place
• A separate litter box area
• Litter box should be cleaned regularly (feces removed immediately when noticed)
• A convenient scratching post with suspended toys
• Interaction with at least 20 people daily, including at least 5 unfamiliar people
• Daily handling, gentling, and grooming by at least 3 people, including 1 unfamiliar person
• Feline companionship for social cats (group housing)
• Kittens less than 4 months old should be housed together in a self-training, long-term confinement area, with constant access to a scratching surface with suspended toys and a separate litter box area. Kittens require daily handling, gentling, and grooming by at least 5 unfamiliar people.
Standards for dogs are at the Open Paw website, along with background on the group's activities and goals. Would your rescue group's facility like to be an Open Paw shelter?